Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wordy Wednesday! xxx #wordywednesday

Now usually, okay sometimes, I post an image on a Wednesday as part of the #wordlesswednesday tag. However, I am attempting to start, finally, writing posts and thought a good start would be 'wordy Wednesday' or #wordywednesday.

So where to start? Trees obviously! Back from Yorkshire, and my first escape from Kent ever, I am noticing more so that ever the sheer amount of trees here in Kent.

I love trees - hence the name mistletoe - oak and my obsession with tree images, photos, painting and drawing them and even my logo.

With autumn and returning to the woods here, the vast array of colours at this time of the year are truly stunning. A complete spectrum can be found.

Today it seems to be the beech tree that kept wanting to be noticed.
I was out walking my batty spaniel and I noticed how the very top of the old beeches here are still quite green. Yet lower to the ground deep oranges, coppers, browns and almost speckled hues of handpainted ochre crusted jewels form on these leaves. If you look closely tiny little mushrooms and fungi can be spotted, but be warned if near a chestnut tree - mind you do not prickle your fingers on a rogue spiky case hiding under the carpet of copper unturned leaves!



Moving on from the beech, to the ash tree.  A wordy recommendation to read, I last night discovered 'The Man who made things out of trees' by Rob Penn. Some may remember Rob's BBC Four programme Tales from the Wildwood Sadly the episodes in full are no longer available but you can see some clips by clicking here 
I am two chapters into his new book and cannot wait until bedtime to carry on reading some more!!!


"Robert Penn cut down an ash tree to see how many things could be made from it. After all, ash is the tree we have made the greatest and most varied use of over the course of human history. Journeying from Wales across Europe and Ireland to the USA, Robert finds that the ancient skills and knowledge of the properties of ash, developed over millennia making wheels and arrows, furniture and baseball bats, are far from dead. The book chronicles how the urge to understand and appreciate trees still runs through us all like grain through wood."

Finally, a sort of wordy wishlist, the Ben Law Woodland Craft - on my to save up for list of reads.


Oh and finally finally, sorry the 'c' word is coming up, look away now if you are not festive! 
My neighbour has planted the cutest tiny Christmas tree in their front garden, I need one!!!
 According to my calculations, including today - 7 Wednesday's left before Yule! 
Know you needed to know that ;)


I hope you have enjoyed my #wordywednesday this week.

Trees, woods, words. 

Content :)
xxx